Sunday, 5 April 2015

THERE.   Beijing Sunday...

At last I have beaten the system and am back into the Blog. It has taken a while to find a way of beating the Chinese security that views Blogger and all of Goggle as the work of the devil, but after a number of false starts I think I am up and running.

It must say something about my belief in free speech or vanity to make me spend the time I have to get back on line...but here I am.

Yesterday we fought the desire to sleep and went round the Drum and Bell towers , had lunch in a great little restaurant in a huton, then went to the Lamas Temple. So a fantastic first day in this great city.


This is all so different from our usual holiday when we rush through the cities to get to somewhere else, and it is quite enjoyable when you put your mind to it. Chris is a great host and it is fun to spend time talking and learning about the city from him. He also has enough of the language to chat and joke with the rickshaw and taxi drivers...very impressive.

The high point was our last driver who sang Chinese Opera to us as we drove to the hotel. Fascinating stuff...if an acquired taste...

Today is a quiet day with a leisurely Easter lunch watching the expat community at play and now chilling before an evening out at a games hall with friends.

As I said, different but enjoyable .....which is good..




No comments:

Post a Comment